I want to have my own bar. I have wanted this for some time. In my mind’s eye it is a perfect place, the industrial look and feel of the place, the comfortable chairs, the well-stocked bar, and the knowledgeable staff: rarely is this (currently virtual) place out of my thoughts.

My first step was to do a course, and one that I needed to do was the Level 2 BIIAB Award for Personal Licence Holders. I decided to go with Knight Training but there are a number of training providers that will supply this course.

After a few days I got a booklet through the post and I read it, and then re-read it again and again over a period of about 2 weeks I read it about 6 times. I did this as I am not the best at studying, particularly so when reading from a book, I find my mind wanders. On the day I did the course and I found it fairly easy (hopefully due to me constantly reading that book which) and I passed.

This gives me the qualification that enables me to go get the personal licence. To actually get that licence you need to also get a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check (this has replaced the previous term which was CRB). At the time of writing this I have not applied for the DBS check but I will be doing this imminently. Once I get the personal licence I can run a bar.

So, if running a bar is something you want to do yourself then the Level 2 BIIAB Award for Personal Licence Holders course is your first real step I think towards that.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s